pwsafe usability issues
I stumbled upon this piece of software recently while looking for a
better way to store username/password information. This one seems to be
in wide use, and yet I've come across these serious usability problems:
- Can dump database to text (--exportdb), but can't reimport! (--mergedb only works with another encrypted database).
- Can't add an entry with a dot in it. Adding "ethereal.net mysql" causes the name to be "ethereal" and the group to be "net mysql".
- Can't change the name of an entry.
- No apparent way to mass-import a list of passwords you already have.
- Update 2009-11-15 from Stuart D. Gathman: pwsafe imports password lists. The import format is different from the export format, however. Import format skips uuid, has no quoting, and the fields are tab separated (too bad if your password uses tab :-).
- No full-screen browser/editor (unless you use one of the full GUIs, which come with a host of other problems).
I'm currently recommending this instead. I use this a lot, and it's nearly flawless.
Please write me if you've found a way to use pwsafe without frustration!
(The solution must be CLI-based; I realize there's some pwsafe GUIs...)